Friday, September 29, 2006

America...

Its been a little over a month or so here...and I must say the country is really good. The facilities here are outstanding, the quiet and peace here is something to die for, and the cleanliness creates a whole new awareness. People are kind and helpful and there is a professionalism that automatically makes you work harder. Places are uncrowded, the air is fresh, and life is good. I guess I cant complain about the life I'm living, cause everything and everyone here has been good to me, I've gotten pretty much all i could ask for and more, and the prospects of a better life loom large ahead...

But thats not really what I wanted or long for. Never really been a money freak (although I appreciate it enough), and I'm not the one to complain about living standards or want better ones. No, what I really long for is the smell of the earth after the fresh rains back in India, that you can never smell here. I long to walk out in the middle of the night and hear the traffic sounds, the sound of people around you, of protection. I long for the warm mornings waking up in my own bed and the smell of fresh food prepared by Mom's lovely hands. I long to roam the streets of Delhi and Pune and every other Indian city, where I feel familiar without a map, and where everyone is a friend. I long to drive bikes and cars when you cant go over 30kmph cause of the traffic, when trips are extended and all the more fun. I long for the electricity to go out sometime, when candles are lit and real conversations happen. I long to talk over broken net connections, when you realize the value of communication. I long to see Indians on TV, where you relate to everything they say, or atleast make fun of it. I long for the familiarity of my home, where you can step into the next room and know that you are welcome. I long to send smses for the price of a Pan Pasand (its bloody expensive here). I long to eat Papdi Chat and Bhel Puri from the thele and go buy a single cigarette from the tapris. I long to wake up at the same time with the rest of India.

But most of all, I long for the feeling that whenever I'm down or just having "one of those days", I can be with family and friends anytime, and they'll understand, and that I can always be there for them.

I long for India sometimes...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is your brother,
Whenever you long for India, put some money together and send it to me...

I'll help you remember one of the reasons you left India in the first place!!!!
:-)

Anonymous said...

Nice one vikrant..... :P I am also ready to make u realise the same send me money too..... he he he

Anonymous said...

good one yaar

Anonymous said...

Me too! I need money too! In fact, sponser me, I'll come there and make you feel at home by bugging you all day and not doing anything you wanna do!

TY

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

Yeah, money would be good and acceptable...

Unknown said...

Hehehehehehehe....you sure do have sum "naalayak" frenz